You are here
Home > American Football > Former Raiders LB Smith arrested, held on $500,000 bond

Former Raiders LB Smith arrested, held on $500,000 bond

1 Star2 Stars3 Stars4 Stars5 Stars

Former Oakland Raiders linebacker Aldon Smith was arrested for the third time in just over a month on Friday and is being held on $500,000 bond, according to the San Francisco Chronicle, citing jail records.

A San Francisco Sheriff’s Department spokesperson told the Chronicle that Smith had been arrested for violating a condition of his electronic monitoring while out on bail.

He was previously arrested on March 23 on suspicion of three counts of misdemeanor violation of a protective order related to his original arrest in early March.

Smith’s fiancee and the alleged victim in the original incident, Shawna McKnight, told TMZ Sports they are no longer together.

“Unfortunately through these circumstances Aldon and I are no longer together,” she said in a statement.

“Although it’s with a heavy heart I truly wish him the best and pray he gets the help he needs. I will always have love for him but at this point I’m simply the victim in this ongoing case.”

The police issued the following statement after his second arrest, for allegedly contacting McKnight: “Earlier this week SFPD’s Special Victims Unit (SVU) investigators obtained information that Mr. Smith violated a domestic violence restraining order stemming from an incident that occurred on March 3, 2018. A warrant was issued for Mr. Smith’s arrest.

“The department worked with Mr. Smith’s legal counsel to arrange a date for Mr. Smith to surrender himself. This morning Mr. Smith surrendered himself to SVU investigators and will be processed for the warrant and three counts of misdemeanor violation of a protective/stay away order.”.

Smith was booked on March 6 in San Francisco and was free on $30,000 bail on misdemeanor charges of willful infliction of corporal injury, assault with force likely to produce great bodily injury, false imprisonment and vandalism (less than $400).

Smith pleaded not guilty to all charges at a hearing the following week, which is when a San Francisco Superior Court judge issued the protective order.

A first-round pick out of Missouri in 2011, Smith had repeated off-field issues with the San Francisco 49ers and was signed by the Oakland Raiders. But he hasn’t played since 2015, when the NFL levied a one-year suspension on Smith with detailed requirements to achieve reinstatement.

The Raiders released Smith in March.

–Field Level Media

Similar Articles

Leave a Reply

nineteen − 17 =

Top